Gallery

Banana Dwarf red

Posted by on 05 Aug 2015

in
General

Viewed 518 times
800w X 1067h
814934 bytes

To display popular topics please install the latest version of Flash Player.

Statistic

• *Total Posts: 47
  • *Total Topics: 35
  • *Online Today: 7
  • *Most Online: 44
(December 15, 2013, 05:37:36 pm)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 5
  • *Total: 5

Author Topic: Case of the Black Knot  (Read 23604 times)

Offline Tom

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
Case of the Black Knot
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:46:05 pm »
I have two plum trees and both have sucumb to black knot.  I had one Methley plum with a pretty bad case and one plum that was supposed to be a peach from the place I bought it so I have know idea what it is.  I pruned off all of the Black Knot off the mystery plumb, but I didn't bother with the Methley.  I am going to replace the Methly this spring with a peach tree (currently looking at saturn.)  The reason being is that Methley sure is a great plum but it was too prone to splitting the pits.  I think it is likely all the water we get in spring and the early ripening of it.  so out with the Methley and in with new peach tree in a few months.

Offline Tom

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Case of the Black Knot
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:01:11 pm »
I cut out all of the black knot.  The tree was about 18' tall and is now about 8' tall.  Only time will tell if it survives the mutilation.

Offline Tom

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Case of the Black Knot
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:19:49 pm »
I never did get rid of the Methley.  I ended up cutting out off of the black knot.  The tree was cut back considerably.  I didn't get more than a handful of fruit last year, and probably won't get much more until more branches are sent out.